Skip to main content

Understanding middlegames

Have you ever found yourself unable to find a move in the middlegame? Of course you have. We all have. About ten years ago, this was a recurring problem for me, which led to a lot of frustration. My conclusion was that I needed to learn how understand middlegames. So what better way than to read a book with the title Understanding Chess Middlegames? Sound like the perfect remedy, right? Ok, let's find out.

If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details.
 

What can you expect from this book?

I first read this book when I was just starting to study chess seriously. I bought it after reading a recommendation in an online forum. I would say this was ten years ago, but the book came out 2011, so it couldn't have been before that. Anyhow, my playing strength was probably around 1200 (I was unrated at the time) and I was having trouble choosing moves in non-tactical positions. Basically, I was playing without any kind of plan, and mostly without any positional understanding.

As I picked up the book, I saw that the book had a section that's called "When you can't think of a plan". Perfect! That's exactly my problem. So I flipped to page 52 and started reading. And I didn't understand a thing. There was just a short paragraph followed by a couple of annotated games. What's this? How is this supposed to help me?

I gave the book some more time, and got increasingly frustrated. Eventually, I concluded that the book was above my level, and I needed something else. So I put it away and continued my search for a good book. That's when I got The amateur's mind, which I have written about in a previous review.

I have learned a lot (?) about chess since then, and recently decided to give the book another chance. As I first read it, I didn't understand the point of the book, but now I do - I think.

The book has two initial chapters in which Nunn discusses some general aspects of middlegame theory. These are followed by the main body of the book. As the cover indicates, the book covers 100 middlegame ideas. These are clustered together in eight chapters:
  1. Material imbalances
  2. Strategy
  3. Activity
  4. Attacking play
  5. Defensive play
  6. Pawn-structure
  7. Typical central pawn-formations
  8. Typical mistakes
As the attentive reader will have figured out, there are 10-20 topics/ideas/concepts in each chapter (100 of them distributed over 8 chapters). Each topic features two annotated games which are covered on two pages. Many games are given in full, but not all. You can read an excerpt of the book on the publisher's homepage, and I think it gives a quite good impression of how the book is structured.

True to his habits, Nunn gives quite detailed annotations, and tends to present the key moves "in context" rather than snippets. Some readers prefer analyses to be presented this way. Personally, I think a book communicates more clearly if it only focuses on the key positions, ideas and variations. This also saves space and gives room for more goodness (see for instance Under the surface). So your reading experience will likely depend your preference in this regard.

Understanding chess middlegames is an ambitious book. Middlegames are complex and often difficult to explain. And covering 100 different ideas makes the challenge even bigger. I think Nunn deserves praise for taking on this challenge, but there are some downsides to this undertaking. First of all, it is hard to find 100 distinct middlegame ideas. And to be honest, there could be some debate on whether all of the topics are strictly middlegame ideas. I would argue that some are more tactical and some are psychological. 

But this is not my main quibble with this book. Rather, I think that two examples per topic is not always enough. It is difficult to convey the main learning points from such a small sample. Also, each topics span over just two pages, including the two games. This means that there is simply not enough room to explain the topics properly, which means that the readers will have to do a lot of the work on their own. Personally, I find that it can be quite difficult to extract the main points and learn something that can be applied in my own games. This being said, the games are well annotated and the book features many interesting and fascinating maneuvers, attacks and defenses.

I think Understanding chess middlegames is an interesting read, and if you are prepared to put in the work to really understand (no pun intended) the examples that are presented, you will probably learn a lot from it. However, if you are a bit lazy (like myself), you may find the book a bit superficial.

Who should read this book?

According to the back cover, the book contains "lessons that everyone can understand". While this may be true, I don't think this book is for everyone. As described above, I struggled with the book as a beginner. But as a seasoned patzer it is far more digestable. So this should probably not be your first chess book, but it may be a good read once you have established some basics of chess strategy. I would estimate that it is a good fit for readers with a playing strength in the 1500-1800 range.

About this book

Author:John Nunn
Title:Understanding chess middlegames
Type of book:Middlegame
Level:Intermediate

Comments

  1. So far I've only read the introductory chapters and the first few lessons, so I can't contradict your review. But as someone with a 2000 rating, I find this book so far to be extremely instructive and entertaining. With only having read a small part, I already feel confident that your recommended rating range of 1500 to 1800 is off. I think even master-level players can get a lot out of the book. After all, the annotated games are between masters, and the players are making mistakes and Nunn is correcting their play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular reviews

Chaos on the board

Have you ever felt tired of chess? Maybe you’ve been uninspired or perhaps you think it’s too much work. To paraphrase a famous movie: All work and no play makes you a dull person. If that is the case, I may have a cure. You need a fun chess book. Something that will rekindle your joy for the game and inspire you to play creatively. I give you Tiger’s Chaos Theory ! This book found me at a time when I needed it the most. My inspiration and motivation to study chess was way down. And like a bolt from the blue, the Swedish Chess Federation approached me and wanted me to review this book. And the kind people at Quality Chess agreed to send me a review copy. An offer I couldn't refuse. So after this happy turn of events, I have a new review for you. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Grandmaster Tiger Hillarp Persson, a multi-time Swedish chess champion, has al...

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo...

Think like a Super-GM

In my previous review I mentioned how I would like to see an improved version of The Improving Chess Thinker , and that a book had recently come out that seemed to be perfectly in line with my ideas. A few months later, I have bought the book, worked through the exercises and read the prose. And finally, I am ready to give my complete review of the new book Think like a Super-GM . And I can tell you, I was not disappointed by this book. Read on to find out why you should probably get the book too. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? As the title indicates, Think like a Super-GM is a book about thinking in chess. At its core, it is a puzzle book. But it is more than that. In the chapters surrounding the puzzles, the book digs into the challenges of thinking in chess and how the thinking process differs between players of different levels. The first chapter ...

A guide to chess improvement

During the past years, I have sporadically read Dan Heisman's old Novice nook articles . And they are really great. When I realized that Dan had put together the best of Novice Nook in a book called A guide to chess improvement , I felt I had to read it. This review is based on a post on my previous blog on chess.com. And I thought it was a good article to include here. What can you expect from this book? This book is really good, but it also hurts to read. Because reading the book made me realize that I have some fundamental issues that I need to iron out in order to become a better player. According to Dan, there are three skills that must be mastered before going for more advanced studies. Play slowly enough to identify and properly evaluate candidate moves. Ensure that the selected move is safe, which means checking for your opponent's tactics. Develop the pieces to squares where they have activity and can do something constructive. Why is this important? The...

Attack the king

One of the finest chess books ever written. Those are tall words from the back cover of this classic book. But The art of attack in chess is one of those books that keep popping up in lists of best chess books. It is highly regarded by many players and trainers, so the initial statement is probably not all wrong. This is a book that has been on my reading list for several years, but it has taken some time for me to actually pick it up. I've been curious about what the hype is all about, and now that I've finally found out for myself, I am ready to share that insight with you. So let's dive in! What can you expect from this book? Before we begin, let me just get one detail out of the way. One thing that struck me when I picked up the book is the title, which seems to be missing a "the". When reading about the book online, it is referred to both with and without "the". When I looked up the original book (this one is a revised edition, edited by Joh...