Skip to main content

Learn chess tactics

Where should you turn for tactics training? This is a frequently occuring question, not only from beginners, but also from intermediate players. Which books are suitable for your specific level, and which ones should you get? In this review, I take on a book that I suggest you do get - at least if you're at or near the beginning of your chess development.

This was actually my first tactics book back in the day, and I recently reread it in order to give a proper review. I remember that I liked it the first time around and that my tactical skills improved. Although rereading it didn't contribute all that much to my learning, I still have a good impression of it. Please read on for more details.

If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details.
Become a Patron!

What can you expect from this book?

Learn Chess Tactics is written by the one and only John Nunn, and (as the name implies) it is a tactics book. I would go as far as to say it is a very typical tactics book; the chapters are based on various tactical themes and the book finishes off with a collection of combinations.

The book has 14 chapters, 12 of which are 'themed' and two that are a bit different. We'll get back to those.

Chapter
No. puzzles
1Fork46
2Discovered attack26
3Pin31
4Skewer6
5Deflection27
6Trapped piece16
7Removing the Guard8
8Opening and Closing Lines6
9Back-Rank Mate12
10Pawn Promotion14
11In-Between Moves4
12Defensive Tactics16
13Combinations36
14Miscellaneous Exercises66


Each chapter begins with a short introduction that defines the tactical theme and gives a few examples. After that, it's on to the puzzles.

John Nunn is a former world champion of chess problem and well-known for his complex and deep analyses. But although this book is written by him, the puzzles are not super hard. My guess is that players within the indicated rating range should be able to solve most puzzles in 5 min or less. At least for the first 12 chapters, since you know which tactical theme to look for. Chapter 13 is a bit harder, as you are expected to combine themes, which makes solving somewhat more complex. And in the final chapter, you get a mix of puzzles, which also increases the challenge. This being said, this is an introductory tactics book, so you should not be afraid.

A good quality of the book is that the puzzle difficulty is fairly consistent. Some other tactics books combine super-simple one-move tactics that you find in a heartbeat and insanely complicated ones that you spend 15 minutes trying to solve and end up with a severe headache. I am glad to say that this is not one of those books.

Another thing I like about this book is that the puzzles are from actual games, and sometimes the 'victim' is a renowned grandmaster. So if you at some point feel bad about falling for a tactic, the book gives examples of players such as Anatoly Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Sergei Karjakin and Nigel Short. As Nunn put it (p. 91):
If Kasparov can fall victim to this sort of oversight, then anybody can!
I don't know about you, but when I see a world-class player blunder I feel a bit better about my own chess. It's a small consolation, but still.

As the title suggests, this is an basic tactics book. For me, it was my very first one, and I feel good about that choice.  I had no experience playing over the board or competing seriously, and I had an online rating of about 1400. At that level, the book was really right for me. Nunn writes in the introduction that aim of the book is to "provide a basic course in chess tactics". He defines the prerequisites, which is knowin the rules. That's it! He does say that you need to know algebraic notation, but then he goes on to explain it, so it's not really a prerequisite. In other words, if you know the rules and want to learn the basics of chess tactics, then this should be a good book to get you started.

Who should read this book?

This is an excellent introduction to chess tactics. It may be a bit challenging for absolute beginners, but I believe it would be a good first tactics book for many aspiring players. In terms of rating, it is probably best for players in the 1000-1500 range. Stronger players can also benefit from it by using the "woodpecker method" and cement their tactical foundation. I enjoyed reading this book as a beginner, and I enjoyed it again as an intermediate(ish) player, so I am happy to give this book a wholehearted recommendation.

About this book

Author:John Nunn
Title:Learn Chess Tactics
Type of book:Tactics
Level:Beginner, (Intermediate)

Comments

Popular reviews

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

All by myself

How do I study chess in the most effective way? This is a question most chess players ask themselves at some point. Once in a while there comes a book that promises to deliver the definitive answer. And just a few months ago, such a book came out; How to study chess on your own . With such a title, this is a book that I just had to read. Should you read it too? In order to answer that, I think you should read this review and figure it out for yourself. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron!   What can you expect from this book? Like many other books, the first time I heard about How to study chess on your own  was on the perpetual chess podcast that featured an interview with author Davorin Kuljasevic . The interview made me curious about the book, so I decided to get it. How to study chess on your own  is a big book. It has 380 pages that spans 9 chapters (plus solutions), 71 annotated games and 34 tests o