Skip to main content

Out of tune?

Have you ever missed a tactic in your games? Of course you have. We all have. Wouldn't it be good if someone wrote a book that could help you get better at spotting tactics? Well, there is such a book. Actually, there are many such books. And one example is Tune your chess tactics antenna by Emmanuel Neiman.

I'd like to warn sensitive readers, as this review may contain sarcasm. You have been warned.

What can you expect from this book?

As you probably know, there are hundreds and hundreds of tactics books out there, and most of them are pretty similar. Usually, a tactics book is divided into themes (pins, forks, skewers etc.), and the author explains each theme and then there are a bunch of puzzles for you to solve. Sound familiar?

In Tune your chess tactics antenna, you will find a similar component, but that is not all. In the first part of the book, the author presents seven signals that a tactic might be present.
  1. Weak king position
  2. Unprotected piece(s)
  3. Alignment (pieces on the same rank, file or diagonal)
  4. Knight fork distance
  5. Trapped piece(s)
  6. Crucial or overloaded defender
  7. Impotent defence, or defence too far away
So far, so good. A similar construct is presented by Dan Heisman in his Novice Nook article Seeds of tactical destruction (also found in A guide to chess improvement). Heisman gives a list that largely overlaps Neiman's seven signals: 
  1. Open enemy lines for Rooks, Queens, and Bishops to your King
  2. Loose (unguarded) pieces - "Loose Pieces Drop Off" = LPDO
  3. Pinned or "skewerable" pieces along the same rank, file, or diagonal
  4. Pieces (or squares) vulnerable to Knight forks
  5. Pieces that have little mobility and might easily be trapped if attacked
  6. Overworked pieces (pieces guarding more than one piece or square)
  7. A large domination of one side's forces in one area of the board
  8. Pieces that can easily be attacked by enemy pieces of less value
  9. One or more pieces than can be attacked via a "discovered attack"
  10. Weak back rank
  11. Inadequately guarded pieces
  12. Falling way behind in development (overwhelming opponent forces)
  13. Pawns nearing promotion
  14. King uncastled or lost pawn protection with Queens on the board

The fact that the two authors agree is a good sign. Points 1-7 are more or less the same as above, but Heisman's list goes on to mention seven additional points. He also says that it is possible to come up with even more. Although Heisman presents a more exhaustive list of "signals" or "seeds", I think that seven is a reasonable number for a book like this. It is difficult enough to remember all seven, not to mention 14 or more! So far, I like the book.

Another aspect of of the book that sets it apart from others on the market is that the examples and puzzles are presented in context. That is, the author presents the entire game up to the puzzle position, and the solution (for the most part) presents all the remaining moves. The rationale for this approach is "to get closer to the actual game situation" (p. 23). While this may be a good ambition, I doubt that very many readers will play through all the moves. One example gives 118 (!) moves before we arrive at the puzzle position. For the most part, this will not necessarily yield much more than simply studying the diagram. But for the ambitious reader, it may be a useful addition.

I have one major issue with this book. And it has to do with the pedagogical orientation. Some explanations are quite difficult to follow, such as the "swing door" tactic, which I will not even try to describe. Furthermore, I feel that the choice of examples/puzzles is quite off at times. For examples under the theme/signal knight fork distance, there are examples in which there is no knight fork! Wait, what? How does that help me understand the concept??

Also, some tactics are a bit over the top, and at least for me personally, the point is lost. Let me show one example. The theme here is weak king position.

White to move
The weak king position allows you to deflect a crucial defender (f6-knight) which allows a double bishop sacrifice that leads to mate - almost. The problem is the queen can interpose, leading to a position in which white is down a rook and two pieces for a queen. But there is a queen fork at the end, which wins a bishop. Basic stuff. The king position should tip you off, right? And now, of course, you see the whole solution. In case you don't, the whole line is presented below.

1. Nh5 Nxh5 2. Bxh7+ Kxh7 3. Qxh5+ Kg8 4. Bxg7 Kxg7 5. Qg4+ Kh7 6. Rf3 e5 7. Rh3+ Qh6 8. Rxh6+ Kxh6 9. Qd7

There are several examples like this in the book. To my mind, it is a rather unpedagogical way to present the ideas that the author wants to get across. Sure, these may be good exercises, but they are not the most illustrative examples.

My impression of the book is summarized quite well by a reviewer on Amazon: "It's a great idea: train your brain to recognize clues in chess positions that will alert you to various tactical possibilities. But I was very disappointed in the examples used. The tactical clues being illustrated are hidden so deep inside the games that they would never jump out at you. And there are other tactical signals hidden in the same games which aren't pointed out at all."

Another Amazon reviewer wrote: "The people who are giving this two stars either didn't read it right or are brain dead when it comes to chess."

I don't know which of these statements are true for me. Maybe I am braindead, but I definitely feel that this book does not quite deliver. The fundamental logic and ambition of the book is great, but the execution is off. I know that there are people out there that will disagree strongly, but I don't think it is a very good book. Something is out of tune, whether it is my reading/ability or the author's presentation of the material. As the guy said in the movie Notting Hill: There is something wrong with this yoghurt.

Who should read this book

Tune your chess tactics antenna is a book that is difficult to pin down in terms of intended audience. There is a wide range of tactics, from basic mating patterns to very advanced problems that are ten moves deep. Although this might indicate that the book is suitable for beginners (and up), I would say that it is in fact not. Sure, parts of the book are aimed at beginners, but for players at that level, there are far more suitable books out there. Instead, I would say that this is a book for fairly advanced players. In terms of rating, I would guess that you'd get the most out of the book if your playing strength is above 1700 Elo. But as indicated above, there are better tactics books out there.

About this book

Author:Emmanuel Neiman
Title:Tune your chess tactics antenna
Type of book:Tactics
Level:Intermediate/Advanced

Comments

Popular reviews

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

All by myself

How do I study chess in the most effective way? This is a question most chess players ask themselves at some point. Once in a while there comes a book that promises to deliver the definitive answer. And just a few months ago, such a book came out; How to study chess on your own . With such a title, this is a book that I just had to read. Should you read it too? In order to answer that, I think you should read this review and figure it out for yourself. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron!   What can you expect from this book? Like many other books, the first time I heard about How to study chess on your own  was on the perpetual chess podcast that featured an interview with author Davorin Kuljasevic . The interview made me curious about the book, so I decided to get it. How to study chess on your own  is a big book. It has 380 pages that spans 9 chapters (plus solutions), 71 annotated games and 34 tests o