Skip to main content

Think like a Super-GM

In my previous review I mentioned how I would like to see an improved version of The Improving Chess Thinker, and that a book had recently come out that seemed to be perfectly in line with my ideas. A few months later, I have bought the book, worked through the exercises and read the prose. And finally, I am ready to give my complete review of the new book Think like a Super-GM. And I can tell you, I was not disappointed by this book. Read on to find out why you should probably get the book too.

If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details.
Become a Patron!

What can you expect from this book?

As the title indicates, Think like a Super-GM is a book about thinking in chess. At its core, it is a puzzle book. But it is more than that. In the chapters surrounding the puzzles, the book digs into the challenges of thinking in chess and how the thinking process differs between players of different levels.

The first chapter gives an introduction to the book, just as you would expect. It oulines the contents and how to use the book. The most valuable part here is chapter 1.6 where Michael Adams gives some tips for solving the puzzles. Rereading this part after having worked through the book, I realize that I should probably have read that part more carefully before digging in. But then again, I probably understand it better now, after having felt the consequences of making the mistakes he points to. You learn the most when it hurts!

The puzzles are presented four at a time. You are only given the positions and which side has the move; no other hints of any kind. On the pages following the puzzle positions, there are some examples of analyses from players of different strength, and finally a deeper analysis by Adams. You can see a few examples in the excerpt provided by the publisher.

This structure is exactly what I felt was missing in The Improving Chess Thinker. I think it is very instructive to see how other players view the position and to follow their thought processes. This allows you to compare your own thought process to other players and also compare the type of thought patterns that occur at different levels.

One thing that I really like about the book is how the solutions section is structured. Michael Adams has analyzed each position carefully and checked the lines with an engine. Of course, he gives a complete analysis of the main line. But he also comments on the most common suggestions by the subjects who have attempted the puzzles. So if you've arrived at an incorrect conclusion and maybe don't understand the position completely, chances are you will get an explanation why your move doesn't work or why it's an inferior solution.

In order to get the most out of the book, I suggest that you document your thought process when working through the puzzles. I suggest that you write down your thoughts on a computer or paper, or verbalize your analysis and record yourself. I decided quickly that I wanted to write down my analyses, and created a study companion in which I could easily access the positions and record the relevant information. The image below gives an example of my own analyses of positions 13-16.

Example from study companion

The tips given in chapter 1.6 are deepened even further in chapter 4, where both authors draw conclusions from the experiment and give a more detailed account of how a grandmaster approaches a chess position. 

Finally, the book is concluded with an eyetracker experiment, where a few players were asked to analyze chess positions while their eye movements were recorded. This part is very interesting in itself, but feels slightly off from the rest of the book.

There is really only one minor detail that I think could have made the book even better. In the image below, I have illustrated the computer evaluation of the 40 puzzles in the main section of the book. The evaluation is relative, so that a negative score (e.g. -1.5) is positive when Black has the move. 
Computer evaluation of puzzle positions

As you can see from the graph, most of the puzzles are about finding winning combinations or a continuation that maintains an edge for the player that has the move. Only 3 of the 40 puzzles are aimed at defensive play and playing for equality. In my opinion, this could have been slightly more balanced.

In terms of difficulty, the book is very clearly biased towards higher levels. The puzzles are graded from 1-10, where 10 is the most challenging. The average puzzle level is just above 7, and only 4 puzzles are rated below 6. This indicates that the book is mainly written for a somewhat advanced audience. However, players at lower levels can still benefit from the book, but perhaps using it more as instruction than a puzzle book.

Overall, Think like a Super-GM is an excellent book. It has helped me improve my analytical skills and pay more attention to the opponent's defensive resources. I think the book is very well written and the level of detail in the analyses (solutions) has a reasonable level of details (depth and number of lines). It is definitely one of the best puzzle books I have seen, and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone.

Who should read this book?

Think like a Super-GM is a book for a wide range of audiences. Being an intermediate player myself, I felt that the book was at a perfect level. However, I have also heard very strong players reporting that they enjoy the book. As there are very few "simple" puzzles in the book, I think that beginners will find it a bit too challenging. This being said, the solutions are very instructive, so the book could well be read as pure instruction. In my opinion, you should benefit the most from the book if you are rated in the 1400-2200 range. So if that is you, I strongly recommend that you get this book (and work through it!). But as indicated above, the book could be useful for players of all levels.

About this book

Author:Michael Adams & Philip Hurtado
Title:Think like a Super-GM
Type of book:Chess improvement, Middlegame, Tactics
Level:(Beginner), Intermediate, Advanced

Comments

Popular reviews

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

The best book for patzers?

I have been playing chess since I was a kid, but until about 10 years ago (2009), I had not even considered reading chess books. For some reason, this changed. I cannot remember why, but I decided I wanted to learn more about chess and probably pick up a book or two. I searched the Internet and consulted a few online chess forums, and was recommended the book The Amateur's Mind by Jeremy Silman. I bought the book, and that was the start of my growing collection of chess books. The Amateur's Mind has had a tremendous impact on my understanding of the game. Prior to Reading this book, I had no idea about how to evaluate a position or how to play the opening properly (or any other phase of the game, for that matter). I saw my results improving dramatically, and gained a couple of hundred rating points in just a few months. At this point, I only played online, so I did not have a "proper" rating. But regardless, I learned a lot from reading the book. What can y

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega