Skip to main content

Visualize this!

Visualization is perhaps the most important skill of a chess player. It is often said that it the ability to play through moves in your head is the strongest indicator of playing strength. I am not in a position to validate or challenge this statement, but I think we all can agree that visualization is important when it comes to chess. The question is how we can learn this crucial skill. There are, of course, many possible roads to take. One is to get a book on visualization training. And that is what I did. And of course, this review is about that book.

If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details.
Become a Patron! 

What can you expect from this book?

Chess visualization course is not just a book. It's actually a series of books. Or, at least, it was. The book/series is self-published, so it can be difficult to track down. I have only seen the first book myself, but I read on some random site that there are actually four volumes. I can at least find the cover page of the second one by image searching. But the only book I can find is the first one (on Amazon). It seems that the content has been moved to a digital format that can be found through the author's homepage www.chessvis.com.

Although this can be seen as a kind of tactics book, it is quite different from any other book that I've seen. There are 800 exercises (not puzzles) in the book. I have not gone through them all, but from what I've seen, none of them ask you to "solve" anything. You are not required to find the best moves - only to play through the moves in your head and visualize the resulting position. Let me give you an example. Take a look at the position below, and visualize the following move sequence: 1...Bxd5, 2. cxd5 Ne2+, 3. Kh1 Nxg3+, 4. hxg3. What is the material count after the given moves? 


The position and move sequence is from one of my own (braindead) games, where I obviously blundered horribly. It was blitz, what can I say? Actually, that is no excuse. Anyway, this is the type of exercise that is given in the book. 

As the title suggest, this book is aimed at improving your visualization skills. The structure is very simple. Like most tactics books, it has chapters ordered by theme. But the themes are not the same as you will find in your usual tactics books. To be honest, I don't really understand the logic of the different themes. Some examples are "even exchanges", "pieces of different value", "before and after", "rabid knights" and "seeing farther". It is not entirely clear to me why the material is structured in this way, but I don't think it matters that much. A more important aspect is the progression throughout the book.

Each chapter contains exercises that increase in difficulty - in terms of visualization depth. In the first chapter, the exercises range from 4 to 10 ply (half-moves). And in the final chapter, the exercises range from 12 to 19 ply. Somewhere in the middle, there are even exercises that require you play through as many as 30+ moves in your head. These are, however, very simplified positions where very few pieces take part in the action - mainly king and pawn endings.

I found this to be an entertaining book, and I can see how it could be helpful to continually "stretch" your visualization abilities. Personally, I found it slightly too easy, and would have liked to have some kind of puzzle element as an additional spice. For instance, the reader could be prompted to visualize a number of moves, and then find the best move. I think others may have thought about this option as well, as this feature is available on the chessvis page. I haven't tried the app, but I assume that it will have the same feature.

Dan Heisman recommends this book on his homepage. Heisman suggests the book for players rated 1300-1700 USCF. I think this seems quite reasonable. But you shouldn't focus too hard on rating, as visualization skills may vary quite a bit regardless. Instead, I would suggest that you test yourself and see how many moves you can play through in your head. Maybe this is a book for you! However, if you are looking for something more challenging, perhaps you'd want to try out the endgame visualization book by Martin Justesen (SayChess).

Who should read this book?

Chess visualization course is an excellent book for anyone looking to build up fundamental visualization skills. The book starts at a level that should be achievable for most players, and provide some exercises that could be challenging for players as high as 1800 strength. But the sweet spot is probably (as indicated above) between 1300 and 1700 strenght. 

About this book

Author:Ian Anderson
Title:Chess visualization course
Type of book:Miscellaneous, Tactics
Level:Beginner, Intermediate

Comments

Popular reviews

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

An incomplete bible

A few months ago, I was planning an endgame course at my local club. I based my course almost entirely on Silman's endgame course , but I wanted to include a bishop+knight mate, which Silman doesn't cover. And accidentally, I stumbled across a book which does  cover this endgame. So I decided to take a closer look at the rest of it as well. What I found out is that the book has many other interesting topics, but I have some quibbles about the title. Read on to see why.   If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? The tactics bible  is not your typical tactics book. Most tactics books are very heavy on puzzles, and only contain short descriptions of tactical themes. This book is the diametrical opposite. There are no traditional puzzles in the book. Instead, the book puts emphasis on examples and explanations. In the first two chapters, Grivas presents 133 examples

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa