Skip to main content

Visualize this!

Visualization is perhaps the most important skill of a chess player. It is often said that it the ability to play through moves in your head is the strongest indicator of playing strength. I am not in a position to validate or challenge this statement, but I think we all can agree that visualization is important when it comes to chess. The question is how we can learn this crucial skill. There are, of course, many possible roads to take. One is to get a book on visualization training. And that is what I did. And of course, this review is about that book.

If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details.
Become a Patron! 

What can you expect from this book?

Chess visualization course is not just a book. It's actually a series of books. Or, at least, it was. The book/series is self-published, so it can be difficult to track down. I have only seen the first book myself, but I read on some random site that there are actually four volumes. I can at least find the cover page of the second one by image searching. But the only book I can find is the first one (on Amazon). It seems that the content has been moved to a digital format that can be found through the author's homepage www.chessvis.com.

Although this can be seen as a kind of tactics book, it is quite different from any other book that I've seen. There are 800 exercises (not puzzles) in the book. I have not gone through them all, but from what I've seen, none of them ask you to "solve" anything. You are not required to find the best moves - only to play through the moves in your head and visualize the resulting position. Let me give you an example. Take a look at the position below, and visualize the following move sequence: 1...Bxd5, 2. cxd5 Ne2+, 3. Kh1 Nxg3+, 4. hxg3. What is the material count after the given moves? 


The position and move sequence is from one of my own (braindead) games, where I obviously blundered horribly. It was blitz, what can I say? Actually, that is no excuse. Anyway, this is the type of exercise that is given in the book. 

As the title suggest, this book is aimed at improving your visualization skills. The structure is very simple. Like most tactics books, it has chapters ordered by theme. But the themes are not the same as you will find in your usual tactics books. To be honest, I don't really understand the logic of the different themes. Some examples are "even exchanges", "pieces of different value", "before and after", "rabid knights" and "seeing farther". It is not entirely clear to me why the material is structured in this way, but I don't think it matters that much. A more important aspect is the progression throughout the book.

Each chapter contains exercises that increase in difficulty - in terms of visualization depth. In the first chapter, the exercises range from 4 to 10 ply (half-moves). And in the final chapter, the exercises range from 12 to 19 ply. Somewhere in the middle, there are even exercises that require you play through as many as 30+ moves in your head. These are, however, very simplified positions where very few pieces take part in the action - mainly king and pawn endings.

I found this to be an entertaining book, and I can see how it could be helpful to continually "stretch" your visualization abilities. Personally, I found it slightly too easy, and would have liked to have some kind of puzzle element as an additional spice. For instance, the reader could be prompted to visualize a number of moves, and then find the best move. I think others may have thought about this option as well, as this feature is available on the chessvis page. I haven't tried the app, but I assume that it will have the same feature.

Dan Heisman recommends this book on his homepage. Heisman suggests the book for players rated 1300-1700 USCF. I think this seems quite reasonable. But you shouldn't focus too hard on rating, as visualization skills may vary quite a bit regardless. Instead, I would suggest that you test yourself and see how many moves you can play through in your head. Maybe this is a book for you! However, if you are looking for something more challenging, perhaps you'd want to try out the endgame visualization book by Martin Justesen (SayChess).

Who should read this book?

Chess visualization course is an excellent book for anyone looking to build up fundamental visualization skills. The book starts at a level that should be achievable for most players, and provide some exercises that could be challenging for players as high as 1800 strength. But the sweet spot is probably (as indicated above) between 1300 and 1700 strenght. 

About this book

Author:Ian Anderson
Title:Chess visualization course
Type of book:Miscellaneous, Tactics
Level:Beginner, Intermediate

Comments

Popular reviews

Chaos on the board

Have you ever felt tired of chess? Maybe you’ve been uninspired or perhaps you think it’s too much work. To paraphrase a famous movie: All work and no play makes you a dull person. If that is the case, I may have a cure. You need a fun chess book. Something that will rekindle your joy for the game and inspire you to play creatively. I give you Tiger’s Chaos Theory ! This book found me at a time when I needed it the most. My inspiration and motivation to study chess was way down. And like a bolt from the blue, the Swedish Chess Federation approached me and wanted me to review this book. And the kind people at Quality Chess agreed to send me a review copy. An offer I couldn't refuse. So after this happy turn of events, I have a new review for you. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Grandmaster Tiger Hillarp Persson, a multi-time Swedish chess champion, has al...

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo...

Think like a Super-GM

In my previous review I mentioned how I would like to see an improved version of The Improving Chess Thinker , and that a book had recently come out that seemed to be perfectly in line with my ideas. A few months later, I have bought the book, worked through the exercises and read the prose. And finally, I am ready to give my complete review of the new book Think like a Super-GM . And I can tell you, I was not disappointed by this book. Read on to find out why you should probably get the book too. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? As the title indicates, Think like a Super-GM is a book about thinking in chess. At its core, it is a puzzle book. But it is more than that. In the chapters surrounding the puzzles, the book digs into the challenges of thinking in chess and how the thinking process differs between players of different levels. The first chapter ...

A guide to chess improvement

During the past years, I have sporadically read Dan Heisman's old Novice nook articles . And they are really great. When I realized that Dan had put together the best of Novice Nook in a book called A guide to chess improvement , I felt I had to read it. This review is based on a post on my previous blog on chess.com. And I thought it was a good article to include here. What can you expect from this book? This book is really good, but it also hurts to read. Because reading the book made me realize that I have some fundamental issues that I need to iron out in order to become a better player. According to Dan, there are three skills that must be mastered before going for more advanced studies. Play slowly enough to identify and properly evaluate candidate moves. Ensure that the selected move is safe, which means checking for your opponent's tactics. Develop the pieces to squares where they have activity and can do something constructive. Why is this important? The...

Attack the king

One of the finest chess books ever written. Those are tall words from the back cover of this classic book. But The art of attack in chess is one of those books that keep popping up in lists of best chess books. It is highly regarded by many players and trainers, so the initial statement is probably not all wrong. This is a book that has been on my reading list for several years, but it has taken some time for me to actually pick it up. I've been curious about what the hype is all about, and now that I've finally found out for myself, I am ready to share that insight with you. So let's dive in! What can you expect from this book? Before we begin, let me just get one detail out of the way. One thing that struck me when I picked up the book is the title, which seems to be missing a "the". When reading about the book online, it is referred to both with and without "the". When I looked up the original book (this one is a revised edition, edited by Joh...