Skip to main content

Disaster strikes

Chess can be brutal. It seems that at any given moment your position can go from playable (or even winning) to completely lost. I am sure it hasn't happened to you, but I have certainly found myself in this uncomfortable situation many times. Even the most experienced players fall victim to this every now and then. This is but a small consolation for the suffering amateur. But the true upside is that there is something to be learned here. This is especially true when a player loses right out of the opening due to an incorrect plan or other mistakes. Danish/American trainer and author Carsten Hansen has collected a number of games in this category and put them together in no less than ten books. I have had the opportunity to read one of them and would like to share my thoughts on it with you.

What can you expect from this book?

A chess miniature is a chess game that ends quickly. This is perhaps a somewhat simplistic definition, but it is probably as close to a "true" definition as one can come. The exact number of moves and nature of the game is subject to discussion. Some books set a limit around 20-25 moves. However, in Carsten Hansen's ten volume series on catastrophes and tactics in the opening, the games are very short (as indicated by the title) - 15 moves or less! Interestingly, the games are all at master level, which means the mistakes are far from trivial.

Now, you may think that these are only run-of-the-mill masters that nobody has heard of, but that is not the case. Among the victims, you will find some of the most prominent heavyweights of the chessboard, such as Yasser Seirawan, Alexei Shirov, Jacob Aagaard, and the World champion's wingman Peter Heine Nielsen. So if they play the occasional blunder, we shouldn't feel too bad about our own.

Hansen has collected a large number of games based on these criteria, sorted them by opening and published nine different books. Wait, the introduction says ten books, and now it's nine? Yes and no. The nine first volumes contains miniature games played in the same "families" of openings.
  • Vol 1: Indian defenses
  • Vol 2: 1.d4 d5 openings
  • Vol 3: Flank openings
  • Vol 4: Dutch, Benonis & d-pawn "specials"
  • Vol 5: Anti-Sicilians
  • Vol 6: Open Sicilians
  • Vol 7: Minor Semi-Open Games
  • Vol 8: 1.e4 e5
  • Vol 9: Caro-Kann & French
The tenth and final volume contains selected games from the original nine, and is thereby a sort of best of the best (or worst?) from the original nine volumes. What I like about this book is that it is a sort of "teaser" for the other books, giving the reader a small taste of what the contents of the first nine volumes. This is in fact exactly how Hansen presents the book in the introduction:
This book is a representation of the previous nine volumes, picking something of the best from each chapter in the preceding volumes, to give you an opportunity to look through the window and see if those other books are something for you.
The selection of games in this volume has its advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, the large variety of openings gives the reader a lot of different examples of how things can go wrong in the early stages of the game. However, to paraphrase Bilbo Baggins, this variety of openings can feel like butter scraped over too much bread. The reader will get a lot of examples from different openings, but will not get an overview of the most common mistakes in specific openings. Luckily there is a remedy, namely the original nine volumes. So, for instance, if you are a Sicilian player - go get volume 6 and possibly even number 5. Then you will have a ton of examples from "your" openings and probably get a better understanding of the mistakes and traps to avoid.

As you may have realized from my previous reviews, I prefer chess books that contain a fair bit of prose. I find it much more interesting and entertaining to read the author's thoughts about the game as a whole as well as individual moves. For a patzer like myself, a bit of explanation is usually necessary in order to get a full grasp of the intricacies of the game at hand.

In this particular book (and most likely the rest of the books in the series), the prose is quite scarce. Usually, Hansen provides some comments at the critical points of each game, but apart from that he mostly just gives variations. In some cases, there are even multiple variations that can also be quite long. This will be a big plus for some readers, but personally, I like it when the author serves me the best bits on a platter. (Ok, I'm lazy. There, I said it!)

You can read more about Carsten Hansen and his books on his website. There, you can also register to get a free copy (e-book) of the first volume of the "catastrophe and tactics" series. So this may be a good option if you want to form your own opinion about these books.

Who should read this book?

Miniature games is often presented as a good option for beginners to study chess. In many cases, this may be true, but in this particular case, I think that the games are a bit too advanced and the explanations too limited for beginners. Therefore, I would say that this series is probably best for intermediate and advanced players. Personally, I would recommend getting one of the books that are specific to your openings. But you should be prepared to put in some work to get the most out of the books.

About this book

Author:Carsten Hansen
Title:Catastrophes and tactics in the chess opening
Type of book:Tactics
Level:Intermediate/Advanced

Comments

Popular reviews

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

The best book for patzers?

I have been playing chess since I was a kid, but until about 10 years ago (2009), I had not even considered reading chess books. For some reason, this changed. I cannot remember why, but I decided I wanted to learn more about chess and probably pick up a book or two. I searched the Internet and consulted a few online chess forums, and was recommended the book The Amateur's Mind by Jeremy Silman. I bought the book, and that was the start of my growing collection of chess books. The Amateur's Mind has had a tremendous impact on my understanding of the game. Prior to Reading this book, I had no idea about how to evaluate a position or how to play the opening properly (or any other phase of the game, for that matter). I saw my results improving dramatically, and gained a couple of hundred rating points in just a few months. At this point, I only played online, so I did not have a "proper" rating. But regardless, I learned a lot from reading the book. What can y

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega