Skip to main content

Meet the legends

A while back, I set myself a challenge to memorize all the 16 undisputed world champions along with the matches they played. During this process I became aware of the long periods that some champions reigned. This fact alone made me realize that Botvinnik was one of the great champs, but I knew next to nothing about him. Curious to learn more, I decided to pick up the definitive (?) book on the world champions - My great presecessors by Garry Kasparov.

What can you expect from this book?

This is a book that will be different thing to different readers. It gives an account of the lives and games of past world champions along with the events that took place in (and outside) the chess world at the time. Some will be in it for the chess; others for the history.

My great predecessors is a massive work of chess literature. It is a five-volume series that covers a more than a hundred years of chess history. Since I was curious about Botvinnik, I picked up vol 2. I have not read the others, and simply assume that Kasparov has used the same approach in all five volumes. I have of course checked other descriptions of the books to verify this.

The official champions are of course the main focus in this series, but Kasparov also gives some attention to some unofficial champions (before Steinitz) and strong players that never became champions. Part 1 is dedicated to Steinitz, Lasker, Capablanca and Alekhine. Part 2 covers Euwe, Botvinnik, Smyslov and Tal. Part 3 focuses on Petrosian and Spassky. Fischer and Karpov have their own respective volumes (4 and 5).

The biographical parts are interwoven with the chess games, and for the most part presented chronologically. The annotations vary greatly in detail. In some cases the moves are just commented briefly in typical grandmaster fashion and without variations. But in general, the key moves are given a fair amount of comment. The amount of variations varies (!) a lot throughout the book, but at times they can be quite overwhelming, covering half a page or more. I am not competent to assess the quality of the analyses (and to be honest, I did not spend much time on them), but my impression is that it will be a bit too much for the average player.

As a biographical and historical account, I found the book very enjoyable. I got what I came for, which was an introduction to the lives and chess of the past champions - Botvinnik in particular. While I did not work through the games in great detail, my impression is that the instructional value will not always be very high for patzers like us. The way the chess is presented in the book makes me think that the analyses are intended mainly for more advanced players and those interested in comparing how playing styles have changed from the 1800s until today.

The revered chess historian Edward Winter has put forth some objections about the chess history content in the books. Winter's assessment is that Kasparov has taken a few shortcuts in his presentation of chess history, with a number of inaccuracies as a consequence. To the average reader, these will probably be considered minor irrelevant issues, but for more serious students of chess history, it may be a dealbreaker. If you belong to the latter category, you may want to take a look at Winter's comments before reading the series.

Although I can imagine some readers will pick up these books looking for a 'learn from the masters' type of book. While I guess this could have some value, I strongly believe that there are better sources out there. But [disclaimer] I did not read the book with this mindset myself, so I may be wrong.

Who should read this book?

I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in chess history. It is a great introduction to the lives and playing styles of the past champions and challengers. So if you are looking for something to get you started on that track, this series is an excellent place to start. Advanced players may find it useful to study the games in detail. However, if you are looking for tips on how to improve your own game, I there are many many books that I would recommend over My great predecessors.

About this book

Author:Garry Kasparov
Title:My Great Predecessors
Type of book:Games collection, Biography
Level:Any

Comments

Popular reviews

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

All by myself

How do I study chess in the most effective way? This is a question most chess players ask themselves at some point. Once in a while there comes a book that promises to deliver the definitive answer. And just a few months ago, such a book came out; How to study chess on your own . With such a title, this is a book that I just had to read. Should you read it too? In order to answer that, I think you should read this review and figure it out for yourself. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron!   What can you expect from this book? Like many other books, the first time I heard about How to study chess on your own  was on the perpetual chess podcast that featured an interview with author Davorin Kuljasevic . The interview made me curious about the book, so I decided to get it. How to study chess on your own  is a big book. It has 380 pages that spans 9 chapters (plus solutions), 71 annotated games and 34 tests o