Skip to main content

Next level patzer

I have a new goal. I am going to become a Grandpatzer. You read that correctly; it's not a typo. As you probably know, Grandpatzer is not an official title, and the term is actually not very established at all. But there is a very entertaining and enlightening book by the title Secrets of a Grandpatzer by Kenneth Mark Colby. When I saw it, I fell for it directly and bought it without hesitation. If you are as enticed by this book as I was, please read on for my full review.

What can you expect from this book?

Kenneth Mark Colby (1920-2001) was a professor in psychiatry and an amateur chess player. In the introduction of the book, he describes how he 'floundered around' as a 1600-patzer for several years before deciding to do something about it. He did something about it, and achieved a 1800+ rating within a year. This book describes the his 'secret' method so that you and I can do the same.

The book was first released in 1979. My copy is a reprint from 2011 with a foreword by Michael Stewart, who explains that he raised his rating from 1990 to 2308 by following the advice in the book. So there is probably something to be learned here.

The book is divided into five sections: (1) Introduction, (2), How to study, (3) How to play, (4) How to play against other types of players and (5) Computer chess. So when I first picked up the book and read the table of contents, I expected that the final section would be completely outdated and irrelevant. But I was wrong. The entire book is highly entertaining and written by a man with a great ability to separate the essentials from nonsense. Even the section on computer chess is very relevant, except from the simple fact that you shouldn't expect to beat many computer programs today.

According to Colby there are about 130 patterns that you need to know in order to reach the ranks of a Grandpatzer. These include some basic endgames, such as blockading, creating passed pawns and battle of minor pieces (hello mr. Silman).

Colby also argues that you should know your openings. Play a limited number of openings, e.g. one system with white and the King's Indian or Modern with black. Much like Dan Heisman, Colby recommends that you should learn your openings at least one move deeper for each game (when you review it). He also recommends that you go through master games, but only the ones that feature your openings. Study the games and try to guess the next move for the side that you usually play and compare your ideas to the choices of the master(s). Finally, you should learn the endgames that your openings tend to lead to. This approach is basically what is recommended by JJ Lang on the Perpetual Chess podcast (Have a listen!).

Of course, you also need to work on your tactics. However, Colby doesn't give much details here. But he does provide a simplified thinking process that he calls the 'Grandpatzer 3-step', which is basically checking for tactics, choosing a move and visualizing it. Then you check for tactics again in the new position and repeat the steps until you reach a 'quiescent' position.

One thing that I really like about this book is that it is written by someone who has a full-time job outside of chess - just like most of us. He truly understands that time is a limited resource, so his advice is geared towards making the most of the little time you have. Therefore, refreshingly, he challenges much of the study advice that you may see from top-level Grandmasters. The principles that apply to masters are not necessarily relevant for the aspiring Grandpatzer. If your goal is to become a Grandmaster it's a different story. I think Colby summarizes this nicely in the following quote (p. 47).
Well-meaning master annotations can be infelicitous for the non-master player. It does little good to mechanically play through master games move by move while reading off the annotations. It does not rub off on you. Often the most puzzling parts of the game are not commented on at all.
Someone who has a full-time job and perhaps also a few kids simply does not have the luxury of spending entire days delving into the intricacies of the Grünfeld or to play through all the games from the My Great Predecessors series (however great they may be). We're on a tight time budget. The struggle is real. This book provides some comfort in that area. Aaaah!

Who should read this book?

Secrets of a Grandpatzer is an inspiring little book. It is a fun and easy read, and has a lot of practical tips for how to reach the highest heights of patzerdom. I would say the target audience is in the 1400-1800 rating range. However, the book is clearly written with an adult audience in mind. That doesn't mean it cannot be read by kids, but the language and some references may be a bit off key for the younger readers. I really enjoyed it, and recommend that you check it out.

About this book

Author:Kenneth Mark Colby
Title:Secrets of a Grandpatzer 
Type of book:Chess improvement
Level:Intermediate

Comments

Popular reviews

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

All by myself

How do I study chess in the most effective way? This is a question most chess players ask themselves at some point. Once in a while there comes a book that promises to deliver the definitive answer. And just a few months ago, such a book came out; How to study chess on your own . With such a title, this is a book that I just had to read. Should you read it too? In order to answer that, I think you should read this review and figure it out for yourself. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron!   What can you expect from this book? Like many other books, the first time I heard about How to study chess on your own  was on the perpetual chess podcast that featured an interview with author Davorin Kuljasevic . The interview made me curious about the book, so I decided to get it. How to study chess on your own  is a big book. It has 380 pages that spans 9 chapters (plus solutions), 71 annotated games and 34 tests o