Skip to main content

Is it safe?

I am fairly good at tactics. At least for my level. Of all the various ratings I have, my tactics rating is the highest by far. It has been well over 2000 for longer than I can remember, whereas my OTB rating is at a meek 1500 level. Now, why is that? Well, the problem is that my tactical skills are one-sided. I usually spot tactical opportunities for myself, but I often miss tactics that are available to my opponents. This is something that Dan Heisman has identified as a very common problem among amateur players. Therefore, he has written two books on the topics, Looking for trouble and Is your move safe?. Both books focus on the same topic, i.e. defensive tactics, but they have slighly different flavors. Anyway, I thought I'd take on both books in the same review.

What can you expect from these books? 

Both of these books address the problem that I mention in the introduction of this post. Although both of them are tactics books, they differ rather much from other tactics books on the market. Most tactics books are based on attack, but these two books are based on defense. Furthermore, tactics books tend to be based on themes (pins, skewers, forks, trapped pieces etc.). You will of course find these sorts of tactics in both of these books, but it is not explicitly stated. Instead, the problems are sorted by the different phases of the game (opening, middlegame, endgame).

One thing that I like about these books (and others by Dan Heisman) is that you do not only get the solution straight up (a sequence of moves), but you also get an explanation of why the solution is correct, what the alternatives are, and what is wrong with them (or why they are equally good). Because of this, every problem is actually a small lesson and not just a puzzle. It is quite clear that the problems are not chosen at random; there is a learning objective for each problem.

Although the books are similar in many ways, there is a small detail that sets them apart. In Looking for trouble, you are served a position and the opponent's last move. Based on this information, you are asked to determine what the threat is and how to properly handle it. All the problems are rated, ranging from very easy (*) to extremely hard (*****). Most problems are medium difficulty (***). One original (?) feature of this book is that the solution is given directly below the problem. This is convenient, since you do not have to keep track of which page the solutions are and use double book marks or anything like that. However, if you're not careful, you might see the solution before you have even attempted to solve it. My suggestion is to get some sort of card that is big enough to cover the entire solution.

Is your move safe? is structured more like a traditional tactics books, with a separate solution section for each chapter. However, the problems are different - from traditional tactics books as well as Looking for trouble. Most problems are multiple choice, you are given one or more moves and your task is to evaluate each one of them and determine which one/s (if any) is safe. (Hence the title of the book). Just like in Looking for trouble, the difficulty ranges from basic to advanced, but the difficulty is not indicated anywhere. In that sense, the book gives a rather realistic scenario: In a real game, you will often find yourself in a situation where you have identified a handful of candidate moves, and left to your own devices to determine which one is best. For some of the problems, just like in reality, none of the moves are safe, and you have to pick your poison.

On his website, Dan Heisman gives the following description of the two books:
Is Your Move Safe? is a "cousin" book to Looking for Trouble, but this in no way implies you need one book to benefit from the other. Looking asks the reader to identify and deal with threats from the opponent's previous move. Is Your Move Safe, on the other hand, looks at safety from the view of analyzing your own candidate moves to see if they are safe.
To summarize, we can say that Looking for trouble asks you to identify and handle threats, whereas Is your move safe? asks you to find moves that avoids the problems altogether - at least threats that cannot be met safely.

Who should read these books?

Both of these books are best suited for intermediate players. Although Heisman presents a very wide range of readers in terms of playing strength (~1200 - 2300 Elo), I would say that the sweet spot is approximately 1400 to 1800. That does not mean that either book will be irrelevant for players outside that rating range, far from it! But beginners may find the problems too difficult, and more advanced players will probably have other issues to work on. This being said, some problems will probably be challenging even for players with a 2000+ playing strength. So to put it more simply: If you ever find yourself making unnecessary blunders, both of these books may be worth your time. If you are serious about improving your chess, I can warmly recommend both of these books.

About these books

Author:Dan Heisman
Title:Is your move safe? / Looking for trouble
Type of book:Tactics
Level:Intermediate

Comments

Popular reviews

Under the surface

I did something different. I bought a chess book without doing any research. I decided to reward myself with a new book after having written ten reviews. So I asked my friends on Twitter for suggestions, and someone suggested that I take a look at the book Under the surface by Jan Markos. Since the book is quite new, I couldn't find much information about it, so I decided to blindly trust the recommendation. Luckily, I was not let down. What can you expect from this book? I am not the only one who has done something different. Jan Markos did the same when he wrote Under the surface . He takes a quite philosophical approach to chess, which should probably be expected from a former student of philosophy. This comes across quite clearly in his choice of chapter titles. The names "Magnetic Skin", "Anatoly Karpov's Billiard Balls" and "On the Breaking Ice" are not the most transparent chapter titles in the world. But once you get under the surfa

Tactics for post-scratch players

Which is the best chess book ever? As a chess community, we repeatedly ask this kind of question, for various categories. And one of those categories is, of course, tactics. So which is the best tactics book ever? The answer to this question depends on the playing strength of the reader. But if we consider the fact that the majority of chess players are in the middle of the bell curve, the best books should logically be among the ones written for an intermediate audience. With that said, this might be the best tactics book ever written. A bold statement, perhaps. Read on to find out why I recommend this book. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? Chess tactics from scratch was originally published as Understanding Chess Tactics  – as indicated by the book's subtitle. This book is actually what inspired the now famous "woodpecker method". In his book Pu

Judgement and planning

Some books "fly under the radar" and do not get the same attention as the evergreen classics. But sometimes, there is gold in old mines. And I found a little golden nugget while shopping for used books. A book written for amateurs, by (arguably) the best amateur of all time; former world champion Max Euwe. Sounds promising, right? If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from this book? In my previous review of Chess Fundamentals , said that few world champions have written books for beginners and intermediate players. Capablanca is, of course, one exception. And another is Max Euwe. Euwe is not the most well-known world champion. He was in his prime in the 1930s and 1940s, most notably in 1935 when he dethroned none other than the great Alexander Alekhine. Although many have suggested that Alekhine only lost because of heavy use of alcohol, beating him is no small feat (rega

Master of strategy

During the past two years, I’ve been working on improving my strategic/positional play. In this process, I have read a number of books, and two books that have long been on my reading list are the strategy books by Johan Hellsten. So when the Swedish chess federation requested reviewers for two of these books, I didn’t hesitate. I am happy that I was given the opportunity to review these books, and hope this review can be of help to you as a reader. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron! What can you expect from these books? Johan Hellsten has created a name for himself as one of the leading experts of chess strategy in modern times. His series of strategy books ( Mastering Opening Strategy , Mastering Chess Strategy and Mastering Endgame Strategy ) have received glowing reviews from many parts of the chess world. So it feels good to finally dig into these nuggets. His endgame book is still in my boo

All by myself

How do I study chess in the most effective way? This is a question most chess players ask themselves at some point. Once in a while there comes a book that promises to deliver the definitive answer. And just a few months ago, such a book came out; How to study chess on your own . With such a title, this is a book that I just had to read. Should you read it too? In order to answer that, I think you should read this review and figure it out for yourself. If you like these reviews, please consider supporting my work. Visit my patreon page for details. Become a Patron!   What can you expect from this book? Like many other books, the first time I heard about How to study chess on your own  was on the perpetual chess podcast that featured an interview with author Davorin Kuljasevic . The interview made me curious about the book, so I decided to get it. How to study chess on your own  is a big book. It has 380 pages that spans 9 chapters (plus solutions), 71 annotated games and 34 tests o